Old June 22nd 11, 08:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Default Can Gigabyte ep35c-ds3r v2.1 support DDR3 1600 RAM?

Paul in Houston TX wrote:

You are correct. I did not look closely enough at the
ram slot locater things.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2740#ov

I was looking at the P35 part, and thinking it isn't designed like
a Core i7 LGA1366. That's why I went looking for a picture,
just to be sure.

A pair of DDR3-1600 sticks would fit in the motherboard, but
I don't know if there is an overclocking setting that will
give that high an effective clock rate. But a high speed
memory DIMM can run at a lower speed without a problem. So
that stick could run 1333 or 1066, with some changes in
CAS and the like, possible.

As to whether a 4GB config is good, it would work best with
a 64 bit OS. When you use a 32 bit OS, with the Microsoft
memory licensing limit, you only get to see something like
3.1GB free or so. Due to the memory map setup. So a 4GB
config is not "twice as good" as a 2GB config. There are
some losses along the way.

But with the pricing, it's a pretty cheap upgrade.

Paul