Old February 12th 14, 08:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.windows7.general
...winston‫

Default UEFI Support in Windows 7?

W wrote:
Does Windows 7 support the need UEFI replacement for BIOS? If yes, does
this require 64-bit Windows 7? Does it require the system partition and
boot partition to both be on a GPT disk?

I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit boot partition working on an old Dell
computer. That computer's BIOS says nothing about UEFI. When I try to
copy over the image of the system partition and boot partition to a a Dell
T7600 system - which DOES offer UEFI boot devices as an option - and try to
boot in legacy mode, I get a message that I am trying to boot a UEFI device
in legacy mode. Unfortunately, that device does NOT show up in the list of
boot devices. When I select the device 0 on the boot controller, I get a
message that the partition cannot be booted (without any details).

If I go into the Dell T7600 setup and configure it to use UEFI, that is more
confusion. If I try to add a UEFI device, it tells me "No file system".
If I simply enable UEFI without adding a boot device, it finds nothing on
startup.

So at the end of the day, I have an exact image copy of a bootable WIndows 7
64-bit OS, and I cannot get it to boot in either legacy mode or in UEFI
mode. Since I have no experience with UEFI, I am just lost here.

P.S., I was copying over the Windows disk image just to bootstrap install
process, and I was going to relicense the OS once it booted.

You should be able to find a fair amount of specifics on Win7 and UEFI
in the following articles

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...01(WS.10).aspx

https://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/...-computer.aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/installat...therboard.html

Afaik....you need to boot the Win7 DVD in UEFI mode to install Win7 in
UEFI mode in order for it to run. As long as your system supports UEFI
the installation will handle the required partitioning as noted in the
first article (technet.../library/..)above.

--
....winston
msft mvp consumer apps