Old June 22nd 06, 03:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Default Economics of SATA hard drive

"Warra" wrote in message
Am in the UK. Running an old system which works quite well: Via 266
mobo with Duron 1800 processor and 768MB of SD-RAM.

Will upgrade the system when I need the extra power. Currently need
add to my data storage. Don't want to get Parallel IDE (PATA) because
newer mobos will support only SATA.

Can get a 250GB Samsung hard drive (from Komplett) for about £60 inc
delivery which is a real bargain.

But a PCI SATA adaptor by Sunsway from the same dealer costs £19. It
supports 2 SATA devices. That is definitely not a bargain as it's
one-
third of the price of the 250 GB drive! What a swizz!

Note: Newsgroups changed (due to limit of 3 groups for cross-posting
imposed by AIOE's server). alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd was
removed since the topic has nothing to do with overclocking.

Check if the SATA drive includes an adapter. This lets you connect the
SATA drive to an IDE port (and also use the 4-pin Molex power plug so
you don't need a PSU with SATA power plugs). You would then run your
SATA drive to the IDE port in your old host. When you get a new host
later, you can remove the adapter and connect the SATA drive to a SATA
port on the new motherboard.

I haven't bought a SATA drive for awhile so I don't know if they come
with the adapter. If not, you can get them separately. However, check
the cost since getting a SATA card might be close to the same price.