Old June 22nd 06, 01:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Default Economics of SATA hard drive

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 23:48:36 +0100, Warra
wrote:

Am in the UK. Running an old system which works quite well: Via 266
mobo with Duron 1800 processor and 768MB of SD-RAM.

Will upgrade the system when I need the extra power. Currently need to
add to my data storage. Don't want to get Parallel IDE (PATA) because
newer mobos will support only SATA.

Newer boards will support at least one PATA channel because
OEMs (and others too) are still using and preferring PATA
optical drives.

Plus, the same argument you are making about the need for a
PCI SATA adapter could go the other way- that you buy a PCI
PATA adapter for the next system "IF" it ends up needing
one. If you don't plan on having more than one optical
drive in your next system and plan on purchasing it within
at least the next couple years, it is most likely it will
have PATA.

Can get a 250GB Samsung hard drive (from Komplett) for about £60 inc
delivery which is a real bargain.

But a PCI SATA adaptor by Sunsway from the same dealer costs £19. It
supports 2 SATA devices. That is definitely not a bargain as it's one-
third of the price of the 250 GB drive! What a swizz!

I don't know what all hardware costs over there, but trying
to equate it based on % of a budget grade drive is a bit
misguided. The card has, as any product does, a certain bit
over overhead in design, manufacture, delivery, marketing,
warranty coverage, etc, etc.

What viable alternatives do I have?

The best alternative is to buy a PATA drive. It will be
faster than an SATA, because not only will you be avoiding
use of a PCI SATA card (slower because it's on the PCI bus
instead of southbridge integrated as your PATA controller
onboard, is), but ALSO because your motherboard's Via
chipset is known to have a somewhat low realized PCI
throughput. In other words, your board is among the worst
to use a PCI SATA controller on.

Get the PATA drive and let tomorrow take care of itself.