Old October 17th 03, 06:53 PM
JAD

retail? I have only seen one of those that came with paste...don't remember the exact speed..

yes that was a 3.0 and the others were 2.8b's and down don't have any more 3.0's or better to look....I'll watch that....

"S.SubZero" wrote in message ...
"JAD" wrote in message
k.net...
here is the easiest thing , open the CPU box and don't open the thermal

paste, as it is not necessary.
The retail P4 comes with a more than adequate HSF that anything else would

be overkill. My opinion, determined by numerous installs
with no 'extras' needed.

That's odd, since all the retail 3.0's I've opened come with a small syringe
of thermal paste and do NOT have the black thermal pad on the HSF.

---

If the heatsink has a black thermal pad on the bottom, just use that, and
don't use paste. If you open the box and there's a small syringe of paste,
you'll be using it. They explain in the manual how to do it, but just
incase...

The chip has a heat spreader plate on it, so this vastly increases the
coverage area. But it actually makes the job easier. Put a small amount of
paste near the middle, just a little blob. Then, using a credit card or
something of similar thickness and flexibility, gently spread the blob over
the entire heat spreader. The idea is to get a nice thin glaze. The paste
is not supposed to be sandwiched like ketchup on a hamburger. It should
also not go anywhere except on the heat spreader (the silver raised area!).
The heat spreader should be able to make contact with the heat sink, and the
paste acts more like a filler, filling in the very small imperfections in
the heat spreader's and heatsink's surfaces. There shouldn't be enough on
there for it to ooze out the sides.

-SSZ