Old April 24th 04, 08:32 PM
Rob Stow

Jim in Canada wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message

Dear Motherboard Gurus.... tell me if ...

... it would do any harm to plug in a CPU of a higher FSB rating than
the MOBO is designed for ?
My mobo has a fsb rating of 400MHz but my P4s rating is 800Mhz.
I personally feel it woud do no (physical) harm except, perhaps,
to 'pull down' the P4's capability and cause it to be under-utilised?
Please correct me if I'm wrong
thnx

[Top posting corrected.]
Depends on the motherboard. Some will not recognize it and will not boot up
at all.

It could depend on the cpu too. I have, for example, twice run
into 333 MHz FSB Barton core Athlons that would not work in a
266 MHz motherboard. Both times, just putting in a different
cpu of the exact same model/speed fixed the problem.

Intel is so far behind AMD these days that it has been a while
since I wasted time on P4s, but perhaps others have had similar
experiences with P4s ? If you have the kind of money needed
for a fast P4 you would be better off switching to AMD64 - at
least until Intel manages to catch up, possibly by this time
next year.