Old August 3rd 05, 05:00 PM
Mal Franks

Thorin sat down and started singing about gold. Gandalf entered. Gandalf
said "hurry up". After being threatened with a cloven skull, from one
well placed blow, said...

CPU overheating might explain the two-tone sound, but would not
fully explain the screen-blank... if it is simultaneous with the
two-tone... you did not make the time-relationship between two-tone
and screen-blank explicitly clear in your posting. Or how the two-tone
finally went away... power-down or what ??

CPU appears to be ok. The two tone sound occurs once when the screen
returns from being blank - it sounds exactly like the sound XP makes
when you plug in a USB device and the sound my old PC made when i turned
the monitor on & off when i had its built-in USB hub connected to it
(don't use that anymore).

or

Power supply incapable of supplying the required +12V current to both
CPU (and disk drives) plus the 2 video cards. Does the power supply
have dual +12V 18 amps ? The HEC 550W PSU is not on the
SLI-certified list...

See:-

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build.html

and look at the bottom of the page.

The fact that it is not on the list may not necessarily disqualify it,
but the +12V amperage ratings ( and any tech reviews of the
power-supply ) would need to be closely scrutinized.

John Lewis

I think this is the PSU supplied with mine.

Malcolm Franks