Old January 13th 05, 07:49 PM
w_tom

Every device required voltages in limits. But how far
outside of those limits does the peripheral device still
function? In this case, the HD may work at voltages too low
but CD and floppy would not. Moreso, the LED will always work
when voltages are too low.

BTW, this is an example of ternary logic. You are trying to
use binary logic to solve the problem. Will not work.

Again we are back to the same problem. Wild speculation
because we do not have numbers. You have a procedure up top
that could have answered these questions in less time than it
took to post. If you really want to fix the problem AND come
out smarter, then get the meter and follow those simplistic
procedures.

"I think that the MB took out the original PS" is wrong.
Basic knowledge: Intel even defines the size of the wire that
must short out all power supply outputs ... and still a power
supply must not be damaged. This was defacto standard for
power supplies even 30 years ago. A motherboard can only
damage a power supply that was defective when purchased (IOW
bought by a bean counter mentality). Yes there are power
supplies that can be damaged by the motherboard only because
Asian manufacturers have discovered a large number of bean
counters pretending to be computer experts. Such supplies
sell at prices such as $25 and $40. But it is not the
motherboard that damages. Damage due to a bean counting
human. That type of failure is more often a complete burn out
- not your symptoms.

Get the meter and get those necessary numbers. Determine
power supply integrity in but a minute. End all these silly
speculations by having numbers.

Brian Cloutier wrote:
The cd drives both work as well as th HD's. There is no speaker on
this cheap ass machine so that is why I get no beeps. The red
light on the MB still lights up so does that mean anything?