Old August 27th 04, 12:39 PM
Homer J. Simpson

My board is Rev. 2.0, with BIOS F12.

I know that the Rev 1.1 and earlier boards were very problematic with
certain highend video cards (GeForce4's at that time) and PC2700 RAM.

"Simon Elliott" wrote in message
Homer J. Simpson wrote:

I had the same problem with my GA-7VRXP when I bought it over 2 years

ago.

I had started off with1 module of 512MB generic PC2700. A few months

later
I decided to add another 512MB PC2700 module, also generic but different
manufacturer. I began having the same problems that you are currently
having. Each module would work fine by itself, but as soon as the second
module was added, even using the most conservative BIOS memory settings,

the
problems started.

Running memtest86 with each module by itself confirmed that there were no
problems with either of the individual modules. After adding the second
module and rerunning memtest86 confirmed that there were memory errors

when
both modules are used together.

The solution was to bring both modules back to my vendor and exchange

them,
at no extra cost to me, for a pair of modules from the same manufacturer

and
same production lot. With the 2 new 512MB PC2700 modules together,

running
memtest86 for several cycles confirms that there are no more errors.

This motherboard seems to be very sensitive to any mismatches in memory
modules.

Thanks for the info Homer.

From my experience I would agree that the 7VRXP is unusually sensitive
to the memory installed. In my case I can't get it to recognise anything
other than the original memory, none of the new sticks I've tried
(including a stick of Kingston brand) have worked and I'm surprised I
ever managed to get the board working in the first place.

I'm currently looking for something matching the original memory and
hope to have some success with eBay.

In your case, what revision board do you have and what BIOS version were
you running at the time (if you can remember)? Is there a BIOS version
that's as stable as the F4 I'm currently running that might be
successful, the F12 I tried was useless?

Thanks again for your contribution. I've spent two weeks, on and off,
trying to get the board to accept some extra memory and it's good to
hear that it's not me doing something wrong - this board is very

sensitive.

--

Simon