Old July 26th 03, 05:45 AM
Dave

Well, you *might* be able to clock the core to ultra speeds. The chips are
speed binned. In other words, they are tested just like CPUs are. The best
ones are thrown into the ultra bin. The bottom feeders go into the non
ultra bin. Who knows, maybe the crappiest make it into the 64 bit cards.

Dave

"Wanderer" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:33:11 +0100, "AJ"
wrote:

What's the difference between the 2? Is it just the clock speed? If so
what's stopping anyone installing coolbits and upping the clock on an

FX5200
to the same as an Ultra and saving some cash?

Yes, the difference is clock speed, but you'll likely never get any
plain 5200 memory clocks anywhere near that of the 5200 Ultras because
most 5200's I've seen use some fairly slow 4ns or 5ns chips.

You'll easily get the core up to 5200 Ultra speed (provided it is
actively cooled and not just a passive heatsink seen on most 5200
cards) but that isn't where the most speed gains will be made. Memory
bandwidth is everything and the more speed you can get out of the ram
the better. But like I said, the ram on 5200 cards is too slow to hit
5200 Ultra speed.