Old March 18th 21, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

Default Fry's Electronic Out of Business!!!

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 16:21:08 -0400, Flasherly wrote:

| Egghead was another of those Facebook/Microsoft dormroom startups for
| extracurricular activities. Dropouts, rather if deferred then for
| when the price turns right, Egghead's model/resources was a success
| story sold for reorganization into the [Newegg(head)] business
| charter. All that feely-touch stuff, too, at least initially is no
| doubt worth it to establishing reputability and dominance;- except
| there's since only a couple such "real stores" in America -- WallyMart
| and Amazon. Up to that tier, it's difficult for those below to
| maintain viability. A major creditcard, for instance, pulls it off by
| owning an overhead on everybody's interest rates, which they never of
| course pay off in (monthly) accumulative charges. Easy walking for
| many on the "red carpets" of an insurance pad beneath for all but
| obvious abusers. Abusers, though, is exactly what has happened, with
| too many and too fast. Newegg had to drop out, excluding their
| previous premier services -- courtesy returns, shipping rates,
| (openbox discounts) -- Amazon can more easily absorb (the abuse)
| through wider diversification/volume NewEgg lacks.
|
| Although, within reputable dealers, among many merchants in a Newegg
| class, there's really no difference apart Amazon, either way for a
| couple bucks to skew, from a shift and responsibility the consumer now
| assumes. Nothing about the former's integrity has changed, but a
| requirement for you now to know first the product thoroughly, which
| they'll stand behind: A product delivered as promoted. They've
| simply removed having to factor being abused by the buyer, Amazon more
| likely might indulge, from those whom choose to claim technological
| ignorance as a source of dissatisfaction for otherwise functional
| products.
|
| Before Newegg changed and did handle that sort of business on returns,
| initially I made out OK on some steep discounts on returned products.
| But the circuit didn't take long to close in on both sides, as Newegg
| attempted to shift out marginal or shoddily-inspected merchandise, QC
| becoming more reluctant to acknowledge subsequent complaints, or
| return shipping, eventually, inasmuch for most now, who have little
| patience left to indulge misunderstandings, period, chalked up to
| potentially expensive customer-assessed restocking fees.
|
| Easiest chance on a way out, the consumer now has, a chance they've
| knowingly have done and gone screwed the pooch, is refuse delivery:
| Touch that box, or what's inside -- you bought it! (Beyond which,
| know your rights .)

I used to buy almost all my computer stuff from Newegg, but switched to Amazon when
price comparisons showed me they usually had the same or lower prices. And I get 5%
back on everything I buy from them by using Amazon's Visa card. Plus, as a Prime
member, I can return something for any reason. Doing that is almost no problem since
they now have a deal with Kohl's to take returns. It's not even necessary to
disassemble or box them. I took advantage of that for return of a monitor a few
months ago. An email came before the end of the day saying the credit had already
been sent to my charge card.

Larc