Old April 5th 09, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Possible issue with Zotac 9800 GT

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 20:13:23 -0400, "First of One"
brought the following to our attention:

1. Some games like BF2 auto-configures itself and compiles shaders on first
run. Upgrading the video card may require reinstalling the game. Does FSX
have a function to repeat the autodetection?

2. It's possible the game is running out of video memory. Happened to me
with Mass Effect, where changing the FSAA level from 8xQ to 4x eliminated
the crashes. You can also experiment with reducing the in-game visual
options. Start off at the lowest settings. If the crashes disappear,
gradually raise the settings.

Yeah.. now we're getting somewhere. So you're asking if FSX has a
video autodetection routine? I really don't know. It's early enough in
the game (no pun) to reinstall it, since the whole system came about
in Dec 2008, and FSX was a post-Xmas package.

The ATI FireGL only has 128MB (came with system) and it never ran
out of memory. Have looked at RivaTuner charting results but cannot
interpret as yet. Not too knowledgeable with the nVidia tuner applets as
yet either. FSX is CPU hungry and video loading (options) is limited due
to that. It will get solved before long. Here is some usage data:

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/GPU_temp.gif

There's 4 GB of RAM on the MB.
http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/Vmem_data.gif
http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/FSX_usage_data.gif (hit F11)

And some installed video board:
http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/G..._installed.jpg

BTW.. for guy above, the OS is Win Xp Pro SP3.

-ed