Old June 9th 07, 08:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,nl.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

Default How to test a power supply ?

'Skybuck' wrote:
| Some have suggested to buy a voltmeter and then test the power supply.
|
| Since computers have special plugs and such, how would one go about
| testing the power supply ?
|
| Are there special plugs necessary ?
|
| (Not that I would ever try it, way to dangerous !)
|
| Do you have a link to a website with some pictures ?
_____

All mains voltage is contained within the metal ATX power supply box. Just
follow basic safety proceedure used when working on ANY device connected to
mains voltage (i.e. don't stick screwdrivers into the supply when it is
plugged in.)

Keep in mind that mains voltage is ALWAYS present in the ATX power supply
EVEN when the system front panel switch is turned off AND the power switch
(if any) on the back of the power supply is turned off as long is the power
cord is plugged into the mains.

The System front panel switch just handles logic level voltages. However,
you must supply a POWER ON logic level TO the power supply to get it to turn
on.

Diagrams and specifications for the ATX power supply are at
http://www.formfactors.org/developer...public_br2.pdf .
Included are pinouts for the various power plugs.

A digital voltmeter should be used for measuring voltages.

The voltages under no load will not be representative of the voltages under
load. Voltage measurements when the system is operating are much more
useful. Thus the reason for system monitoring chips.

A good computer repair shop is recommended.

Phil Weldon

oups.com...