Old December 23rd 05, 02:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default So Nvidia has cancelled production of ALL AGP cards except the 6800Gs?

"Dean Jarratt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Benjamin Gawert wrote in news:412422F1d1adlU1
@individual.net:

pigdos schrieb:

This is what I read over on Rage3d. That sucks. Really sucks.

I don't understand your point. First, Nvidia makes _GPUs_ (ICs), not
videocards. Second, they stopped production of GPUs with native AGP
interface, but board makers still can make AGP cards by using the
AGP-PCIe brigde chip. Third, AGP is dead. The current crop of AGP cards
is still fast enough for the latest AGP systems, and next generation
cards also want a faster system that will have PCIe.

So what?

You make some excellent points Benjamin, however I'm still a little
confused as to why AGP has been ditched so quickly. GPU's still can't
consume the AGP 8x bandwidth.

It all seems a bit pushy by the developers to move everyone for monetary
purposes. It almost seems like hardware developers are thinking that AGP
was too good to begin with and has held back money making opportunities.

Yeah, they force us to buy new hardware.
The only advantage of PCIe is IMHO the possibility of SLI.
I am using my 6800gt on a crappy 4xAGP board...the difference to 8xAGP is
5%.

Cu, Michael