Old August 19th 05, 01:37 PM
Gorby

Scott wrote:
Have you tried going to the website for the manufacturer of your card
and checking to see if they have a set of drivers prior to 77.77? If
you download those drivers and install, that may correct your problem.
After install you still may need to manually install the drivers and
"force" windows to look in the correct folder.

wrote:

Hi,

I've just installed XP SP2 on system with a GeForce 2 400MX AGP card
in it. On the install, XP correctly recognised the card and used it's
own drivers. Later, I tried the latest Nvidia drivers (77.77) and
found them to be a little sluggish in comparison. So, wanting to
return to the original XP ones, I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers via
control panel. On the reboot, XP detected the video card as a "Video
Controller (VGA Compatible)" and *not* as an "NVidia Geforce 2 MX 400"
(which it did on the install).

No matter what I do, I cannot get XP to recognise the card properly
again, nor install any drivers for it. I can however reinstall the
Nvidia ones and it is once again correctly seen as a Geforce 2 MX 400.

Remove them, and I'm back to "vga compatible" !!

I've tried 'sfc /scannow' to restore any critical files, but no joy.

If I tell it to automatically install drivers for it, it says it can't
find any, and likewise if I try manually ("I will choose the driver to
install") once I choose Display Adapters in the category list, it says
"no drivers are available" (or something to that effect).

It's driving me nuts !!!!

PLEASE !!! - Can someone help ? !! I'm presuming that the uninstall
of the Nvidia drivers took something with them that XP uses to
identify the card, but I don't know what !!

Cheers,

Kev.

I have recently upgraded my Asus V9280 (Ti4200 128Meg) to 77.77. I then
had a series of video failures. Eg screen would change from 1024x768 to
something less than 640x480 with a black bar in the middle. Only a
reboot seemed to fix it for a while.
I have gone back to the Asus site and reinstalled version 71.89. ( after
uninstalling 77.77, rebooting then installing 71.89).
Since doing this I have not had the problem. I suspect that 77.77 might
be a bit suspect!
Has anyone had any problems with this?

cheers
Gordon