Old January 14th 05, 12:41 AM
PRIVATE1964

Some say 44.03 (the one I use)
Some say 43.45 (as he uses)
Some say 45.23 (haven't tested those)

I still use the 44.03's and have tested most of the newer versions with my
4200. I lose too much performance with the newest drivers. Unless you have a
specific game that requires the newest drivers, you should stay with the
44.03's or version close to that IMO.

Anyway, Source (Half-Life 2) complained about the drivers beeing to
old with 44.03, but the newer drivers has no better DX9 support,
right, as this is as hardware thing (says hardware DX8 and software
DX9 in the Half-Life 2 video settings pane). Or.... ?

It doesn't matter that HL2 complains about DX9 drivers. Your card can only do
8.1 so it makes no difference. As long as the drivers support 8.1 that is all
you need. I use the 44.03's with Hl2 and it runs great. I do have the stutter
problem though, by it is not related to the video drivers. I tried the latest
Nvidia drivers and it didn't make a difference so I went back to the 44.03's.
So just ignore HL2 and use the older drivers with your 4200.