Old September 4th 04, 08:05 PM
Jeff B

If you had been reading this NG for any length of time, you
would not have bought a PNY card.... period.

Not with a card that is unavailable world wide. On the rare chance that
one does become available, you take it.

besides, many ppl will get a defective card from a manufacturer, and
from that one data point
conclude that ALL such cards are defective. Since PNY cards are
exactly the same design as EVGA/MSI/XFX/BFG, it should be no more or no
less risky than any other brand.

One exception:-

If you decide that you REALLY want a PNY card, then
buy it with the "return-for-exchange-no-questions-asked"
CompUSA extended warranty. And extend the warranty
if the replacement is another PNY card.

That doesn't work cause you have to pay extra for that extended warranty.
Besides, you can do the same thing for free with the manufactures warranty
(theoretically) because cards normally can't be "fixed", they can only
be replaced. But replaced with what?
Since component level servicing can't be done at the vendors repair
depot, they will:

1. return your card without doing anything to it, or

2. replace it with a defective card someone else returned, or

3. give you a new card.

All vendors except PNY do 3 above, cause that's the only proper remedy.
But if you are dealing with a unscrupulous vendor PNY, they will
replace it with a different defective card they received from someone
else. They figure that since they make it so inconvient to apply
for warranty, they will eventually wear you down and you'll give up, and
it hasn't cost them anything.

I bought this card from Outpost.com, cause they'll give a full refund if
you return it, and they don't charge extra.
The bigger point is that in a world where 6800u are typically
unavailable, you take what you can get and hope that you get a good
card. This is what happened to me. I got a good card from PNY, and
traded it for a defective card.

The real problem is that PNY slapped a big'ol REFURBISHED sticker
on the back, so now I have to worry that Outpost won't take it back
cause it isn't the same card they originally sold me.