Old February 27th 04, 01:08 AM

"Kevin C." wrote in message
om...

That's somewhat contradictory with his statement that he wishes the Intel
video chips would go away. Whether you choose to believe it or not, most
people do not own high end GPUs today, nor will they tomorrow. Even above
the casual gamer, there are many folks who are still running GF2-era
devices. In 2006 I imagine that just as many people will still be running
the GF4s and Radeons that are in their computers today, the same cards

that
Mr. Sweeney has targeted to exclude.

Well sucks to be them. It's about time software started pushing the limits
of hardware again. There was a time when people were very happy to get
30fps from Quake 2. Now all you see is people concerned that they are only

getting 90 fps in UT2003, etc. If in 2006 people still choose to hold on to
their GF4s and Radeons they are going to be left out on new titles, and they
only have themselves to blame. You cannot expect the software developers to
stand still for the benefit of those who are unwilling to upgrade.

There has only been two occasions when I've installed a gfx card and said
'wow' to myself. The first was playing Unreal and Q2 on a Voodoo 2, the
other was after I got a GF3 and seen all the Q3 engined games in high-res
with all the candy. All the cards since then have only done what the GF3
did, just faster. In other words there has been little in the way of
innovation. What has been long overdue in the graphics industry is a next
'wow' card.