Old February 15th 04, 06:33 PM
Mark A

Since there are so many manufacturers selling essentially the same
NVIDIA
card and the competition is so fierce, the temptation to skimp on fan
quality is enormous.

I understand that. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
Its still bull**** though. The amount of noise the BFG model makes it
obscene. It literaly soounds like a submarine klaxon. For the amount of
money i spent on these cards - some upwards of $200 a fan that fails
within six months is completely unacceptable.
As for getting an RMA, they want me to send the card in, they'll evaluate
it and let me know if its under warranty. In the mean time my PC can sit
there with its thumb up its ass waiting for its card.

Works the same in other businesses also. I once talked to a home builder
about his construction techniques (special insulation, caulking of
sheathing, etc.) and he told me that at one time he spent extra money on
those things inside the wall to make the home tighter, more energy
efficient, and quieter. But he said that no one could see it and customers
refused to pay extra money for it, and his was loosing his ass on the extra
costs, so he went back to building crappy homes like the other builders.

But OTOH, be thankful there are companies like Zalman who have alternative
solutions.