Old February 15th 04, 05:38 AM
Mark A

"Mark A" wrote in message
"Harry Edwards" wrote in message
newsan.2004.02.15.05.14.13.929547@nospamanywhere .com...
I have three FX5600 nvidia cards. So far two of them have fans that

make
awfull noises. One from BFG tech and one from MSI. number three is

less
than a month old and its OK so far.
What is a good passive graphics card cooler for these cards? I found

one
by Zalhman but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly. The Zalman
ZM80A-HP, but I'm not sure which cards it will fit. Thanks!

There is a forum on the Zalman website at:
http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/board/board.htm

Hopefully someone from Zalman participates and can answer if no one else
knows.

I found this on the forum (I assume that "normal mode" means that the Zalman
does not work and the card must use the stock cooler):

For the user of ATI chip:

Both ZM80A-HP and ZM80C-HP are compatible with ATI (AIW) Radeon 9800 (Pro)
graphics cards when they are cooled by additional fans (in Silent Mode) such
as FB165, FB123 w/ additional fan attachment for VGA chip cooling and ZM-OP1
for ZM80C-HP. Lower models from ATI having 2 mounting holes on the PCB can
be cooled by ZM80A-HP (or ZM80C-HP) without additional fan.

Exceptionally, ATI (AIW) Radeon 9800 XT should be cooled in Normal Mode.

For the user of nVidia chip:

ZM80A-HP and ZM80C-HP are compatible with GeForce FX 5600 or lower models
from nVidia without additional fan cooling such as FB165, FB123 w/
additional fan attachment for VGA chip cooling and ZM-OP1 for ZM80C-HP.

GeForce FX 5700 or higher models from nVidia can be used with ZM80A-HP or
ZM80C-HP with additional fan cooling in Silent Mode.

Exceptionally, GeForce FX 5900 (Ultra) and 5950 Ultra should be cooled in
Normal Mode.

Regards,
Jinkook Kim/ZALMAN