Old December 4th 03, 11:24 PM
Roger

"Helion" wrote in message =

Think of it this way... why are you looking to replace your GF1? I =

would
assume because "newer" games are dogging it. This is because older =

cards
are limited by their lower clock speeds and DX compatibility (In your =

case
DX7) as newer games use, say DX 8 or 9 coding. Your older GF1 doesnt
support it at the video card level but renders the image using the CPU =

which
then relays it to the card resulting in slower performace. This is =

why
3dMark2001 skips the 4th game test and the shader tests.... your GF1 =

doesnt
support it at the card level. When I first went from a DX7 card to a =

DX8.1
card for example I was like "wow". I didnt realize how much detail I =

had
been missing with my DX8 games. Currently have a FX5600 Ultra and =

couldnt
be happier for what I paid for it. You mention "the FX5600 is only 4 =

times
faster than GF1?" that is a 400% increase over 4 years with much =

better
detail.... If only my pay went up at that rate.

You do have a point

Thanks alot to you and the rest for good answers! It's comforting to =
know
that it's well worth the upgrade.

The games like Max Payne 2 still run OK in 640x480 resolution on GF1 but =
I would
prefer to double it to get the details back. The FSAA on this card is =
just useless.

All in all the PC isn't state of the art anymore so I have to get it =
renewed bit by bit,
and I'll start with the gfx card. I think the CPU (PIII / 1,2 GHZ) =
should handle it
well enough till I get the opportunety to get a new mobo, ram etc..

Again, thanks.