Old July 29th 03, 08:58 AM
Bigguy

Try with no AF or AA.... should run mighty smooth.

Also try with a fixed size swap file and then defrag....

AF + AA enabled is a major strain on the graphics card - Radeon Pro is a bit
better with full AA?

Guy
wrote:
Hello. I am wondering if something is wrong with my AMD Athlon 2200+
system (I don't overclock) when gaming with the newest games. You can
see my primary/gaming system specifications at:
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt ... I am
using the latest updates for all my drivers, OS, etc.

In NVIDIA driver properties, I like to set High Quality (graphics),
Anisotropic to 8X and AA to 2X (sometimes disabled because of BF1942's
poor fonts). However, my newer games are not very smooth. Sometimes it
is sluggish (not too choppy) in C&C: Generals and BF1942. I use
1024x768 resolutions in them. Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy
Territory (in Red Hat Linux 7.2 with compiled Kernel 2.4.20) uses
1152x864 resolution. Even with nothing running in the background for
both operating systems. Older games like Q3A and their mods are
smooth, but then they are old games.

What is the bottleneck? I don't really want to upgrade my CPU again so
soon. I only had it since October 2002. Video card is a maybe, but I
wonder if upgrading it to a GeForce4 Ti4600 (I heard FX aren't great
and ATI has poor Linux driver support) will make a big difference. I
also had the video card since October 2002.

What do you think? Thank you in advance.
o o| | E-mail: NT or NT

\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )