Old July 6th 10, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default Is my GeForce 7300LE sick?

zulu wrote:

Hi Paul...
I stupidly forgot to include the important fact that the problem started
with my _attempt_ to restore the computer from *Dell as shipped condition*
using the copy sic of XP supplied with the computer. I had to (twice)
abort this as it kept telling me it couldn't find files.
It did, however wipe all the Winnows Restore Points.

I need to install XP afresh but only have the Dell disc...

Help!

Now what???

Dell has two possible mechanisms (at least), for restoring your PC.
There is a partition on the hard drive, where if you press a particular
function key at startup, will cause a "factory wipe" to take place,
and you're returned to the "sealed state" as if the computer had
just come out of the box from the factory.

The machine may also offer the ability to burn a recovery CD. (Such
a CD does the same thing as the recovery partition would - wipe.)
That uses the software stored in the recovery partition. Usually,
you're limited to burning one copy. If you wanted multiple copies,
you'd either read and store the CD as an ISO9660 file, for usage
later. Or simply copy the CD with your CD burning software. But
making the ISO9660 is safer, because you can avoid bad media issues
by doing that. (I bought some CDRW discs years ago, and they all
died pretty soon after purchase. Even if I made several copies
of my media, I still wouldn't have one good copy to lay my hands on.
That is why the CD contents should be stored in some other manner for
safe keeping.)

If you kept a backup copy of the *entire* hard drive, copying all
three partitions on there, then one of those partitions would have
your WinXP software in it. It's a good idea to backup the hard drive
occasionally, in case of hard drive failure. If the hard drive fails,
and you didn't burn a recovery CD, the hard drive backup copies will
save the day.

*******

You have a sticker on the machine, with a license key. You could
use that key, with a regular WinXP installer CD.

Your machine comes with effectively two license keys. When you use
your Dell restore capability, the Windows in that case, uses some
kind of volume licensed key. That is a different value of key, from
the one printed on the label adhered to the machine.

You could go shopping for a restore CD for your particular model
of Dell. If Dell no longer carries it, then you'd look to a third
party who continues to sell such CDs. The software on the CD is
branded to the hardware, so if you were to, say, replace the motherboard
with something completely unrelated to Dell, then the software
should not install.

But the sticker on your machine, should have a second license key. To use
it, the trick would be, figuring out what kind of WinXP CD to use,
as there is more than one SKU.

The information at the bottom of this article, shows how the CD
determines what type it is. The "setupp.ini" has that info. Then,
you'd need to know what kind of key is on the label adhered to the
machine. I presume it would be OEM, but don't know for sure.

http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/oem-recover-retail.htm

The thing is, with a Dell, the Windows on there is an OEM branded
product, and with any OEM thing, the company selling it (Dell),
provides the support. That is how the product is made cheaper,
for them to sell. If you had a Microsoft retail product, the
couple of support incidents that might come with that, have
a value to the customer. So they charge more for the full retail
version. When Dell sells an OEM version, they buy the license key
from Microsoft for $50 or so. And then Dell is supposed to provide
support (answer your WinXP questions).

Microsoft will answer activation questions. For example, if you
use a regular WinXP CD of some sort, use the license key from the
sticker on the machine, then attempt to activate your new install
and it fails, Microsoft will answer activation questions. In some
cases, they'll exchange some long strings of digits with you,
in order to get your new install activated. But in terms
of providing you with an install CD, that would be up to
Dell in this case.

The Goodells.net site, has some information on how Dell stuff is set
up. Depending on what has happened to your machine (i.e. you replaced
the hard drive), you might get the info you need, from an article here.

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/index.htm
http://www.goodells.net/dellutility/index.htm

If you have the original hard drive still in the computer, and haven't
wiped the partition structure, chances are good you'll be able to recovery
without outside help. Some people get into a frenzy, and just blow
away the contents of the drive, without making any backup copies of the
software Dell put on there, and being in a rush at a time like that,
is a mistake. You can see from some of the info in the Goodells site,
there are things on there you should keep for later.

I'm not an "IT guy", and this is just stuff I've read.

Good luck,
Paul