Old April 25th 04, 12:16 AM
Rob Stow

Homie wrote:

Bottom posting corrected (most people start reading at the top of a page, it aint 1987
anymore, welcome to the 21st century).
" Intel is so far behind AMD these days "
Where do people come up with such bull****?

Perhaps because an AMD64 processor outperforms and uses a lot
less power than a P4 or Xeon that is clocked 50% faster ?

Intel has a *long* way to go to catch up with AMD64.

AMD just discovered thermal protection, (Intel has been doing it for years)

Actually, AMD has had good thermal protection features in their
CPU's for a few years now. If you manage to buy a current
motherboard that doesn't implement the thermal protection features
of the cpu then you deserve what you get. Motherboard manufacturers
for AMD processors have done much to improve things in the last few
years - primarily in response to complaints from AMD and from users
about the way that older motherboards ignored the thermal protection
features of the processors.

AMD cores are made of delicate material that cracks & destroys the core with the
slightest pressure imbalance.

If you've managed to wreck any processor like that - regardless
of whether it is an AMD or an Intel processor - then it is about
time someone told you not to use a sledgehammer when you insert a
cpu. Both AMD and Intel make cpus that have extremely low failure
rates when they are installed by someone who knows what he is
doing.

I've used 6 to 10 AMD processors per month in the last 3 years
and about 2 or 3 per month in the ten years before then and I
have never had a single failure except for one AthlonXP that was
DOA and a few occassions where I did some rather extreme overclocking.
During the same period I've used about half as many Intel processors -
also with one DOA and no other failures.

(Intel cores are hard to crack, never the less Intel
CPU's will continue to function with cracks in the material)

And just what the hell are you doing that is cracking them ?

Intel will RMA a defective CPU for 3 years without problem, I have a stack of 18 AMD
CPU's that are dead, AMD won't do a ****ing thing about it because I don't have the
receipts... I guess AMD doesn't consider the date code as anything important.?

I do a lot or cpu replacements for idiots who have managed to
wreck their AMD or Intel processor. Both AMD and Intel have
been very good to me when I return a dead processor. But
then again I don't do stupid things like cracking a processor
and then trying to blame it on the manufacturer.

Just try and get AMD factory support on their "Mobile CPU's" ...... I won't tell you
what happens, just call AMD and say you have a Mobile /Laptop CPU and need support...
Then post back here and tell us how great AMD is

Actually, I have done that in the past. I was having trouble
with a mobile Athlon XP 2500+ - crashes in the middle of the
POST while drive detection was occurring. It took one call to
AMD to fix the problem (needed to revert to a slightly older
BIOS version for the motherboard), although I will concede that
I was on hold for about 90% of that 25 or 30 minutes call. I
also got an unexpected call back a little while later from that
same techie - he wanted to make sure that his suggested solution
worked.