Old July 13th 03, 04:04 AM
Lyle Rhodes

I think it might be the sound card and/or driver... Try here for work
around...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321637

"MiniDisc_2k2" wrote in message
Also using WinXP Home SP1.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8SQ800
CPU: 2.4GHz Pentium 4 Northwood (533MHz FSB)
Memory: 1x256MB Corsair High-Performance DDR400*
Primary Master: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache ATA/133
Primary Slave: None
Secondary Master: Generic 56x Max CD-ROM
Secondary Slave: None
Floppy Drive: Generic 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy
LPT1: HP Deskjet 722C**
COM1: Palm Hotsync Cradle
COM2: None
AC'97: Speakers Not Attached
PS/2 Keyboard: HP Something-or-other :-)
PS/2 Mouse: Microsoft Optical WheelMouse
AGP 8x Port: Empty?
PCI1: BFG Asylum 64MB DDR333 (NVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE)
PCI2: Creative SoundBlaster PCI512?
PCI3: Linksys Instant PCI Wireless Network Card (WMP11?)
PCI4: Empty
PCI5: Empty
Rear Panel USB1: Yamaha CRW3200UXZ (CD-RW 10x/24x/40x)
Rear Panel USB2: Logitech Wingman Extreme

Motherboard pin connectors allow for 2 more USB ports and 3 firewire

ports,
but I do not have the sister cards connected to allow for them, nor do I
have any hardware which would require them.

* While Corsair RAM has been labled as commonly incompatible with
Gigabyte boards, I have had pretty good experiences with it (extremely

few
lockups, no crashes other than this BSOD screen) and I have run

MemTest86
(www.memtest86.com) several times, and that has indicated that the RAM

is
perfectly functioning.
** While this piece of hardware is extremely old, I have made sure to

use
both the 722C driver (which XP confuses with the 720C driver, and asks

you
which one you would like to use), and I have made sure to use a signed
driver (XP certified).
? I plan to take advantage of this soon...
? Attached to the sound card is a set of Creative Inspire 4.1

speakers.
Not like this is important, just thought I'd say it.

Thanks for the help (and for reading this extremely long post)

--
MiniDisc_2k2