Old May 25th 18, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Default Intel onboard GPU conflicting with CPU power

On Fri, 25 May 2018 19:29:44 +0100, Paul wrote:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

It amazes me how they can get that much current into it with little
motherboard tracks - if you consider how thick a cable is to supply your
electric shower or cooker for example, with a third as much current.

The board is multi-layer, and inner layers can be used to route power.

Yes, you do need "planes" to handle that much current. In some
cases (Gigabyte), they even use 2oz copper for that, rather than
the "normal" half ounce copper. Sometimes you see mention of
that in some advertising blurb.

Why on earth are they using such an antiquated measurement? It should be measured as 0.07mm.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...oz-copper-lead

You can see some layer stackup diagrams here.

https://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/16/article_12_ud3.htm

At one time, motherboards were four layer.
When RAMBUS came out, those were six layer.

I never used that stuff due to bad reviews.
ROFL! "Rambus Incorporated, founded in 1990, is an American technology licensing company, and has also been labelled as a patent troll."

The Gigabyte diagram indicates they used 8 layers
on their X58 product.

https://www.gigabyte.com/webpage/16/article_12_ud3.htm

--
63% of men have had sex in the shower.
The other 37% have never been to prison.