Old January 2nd 06, 07:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers

Default Windows XP Driver for Compaq 64 Bit Fibre Channel Adapter

you still havent answered the question, which is a very basic one at that.

with only 1 system, if you lose your boot drive in a software mirror set,
what do you need to do to get the system to boot from the other drive?

you reputation as a contributor here is on the line, Will. Just answer the
question.

- LC

"Will" wrote in message
No, that is cheating. You can't guarantee that every server in your
environment will be identical, and that it will have identical RAID
hardware. The beauty of the software RAID approach is that you can take
the device to any computer with any hardware and do whatever you need to
do.

We have Dell and Compaq 1U, 2U, and 4U intermixed in our environment, not
mention workstations from both vendors, and I like being able to take any
drive from any of those systems and inspect them across the whole
environment.

--
Will

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sorry for taking so long to reply. I am afraid I made rather merry
this New Years.

I had an identical 1600 sitting on the bench beside the first one (that
I mentioned in the prvious post), and I switched a drive from the first
system to the scond system (which had an identical RAID arrangement)
and the new system assimilated to the established OS installed on the
disk that I inserted. I think this corresponds to the experiment that
Will suggested. The results: Compaq Hardware RAID works exactly as any
of us could possibly hope. The new (completely seperate and
unconnected) system BECAME the old system after about two and a half
minutes of disk activity.

If Will is suggesting a strange redundancy between uncompaible systems,
then he may have a point... but as far as Compaq Hardware Raid is
concerned, everything WORKS as it has been advertised to work...at
least according to my bench tests.