Old July 5th 04, 07:15 PM
Elizabeth

Default Install Updated Scanner Driver

Here's an easy question that I don't know the answer to.

I have a Visioneer Paperport 3000 scanner that I bought years ago when
I had Windows 95. When I upgraded to Windows 98, also in the 20th
century, I reinstalled that scanner software even though it was
Windows 95, not 98, compatible. It still worked but gave me an error
message when I scanned something.

Now, in the 21st century, I still prefer Windows 98 so have not
upgraded operating systems. But I now have a new hard drive . I have
not yet reinstalled my scanner software. I found an updated driver on
the Internet for my scanner so it is Windows 98 compatible. The
instructions for updating my driver say that I should first uninstall
my old driver, but I don't have the old driver installed on my new
hard drive.

My question: Can I just install this updated driver, or must I first
install the software that came with the scanner, then get rid of the
old driver?

Note: The download site for the new driver says "Requires ServicePack
3." If I've been doing my Windows Updates, I'm current on that, right?

Thanks,
Beth