Old December 11th 04, 09:18 PM
tilimil

Robert Hancock wrote:
tilimil wrote:
I have spent the last three months trying to get Asus to fix a bug

in
their Silicon 3112 SATA controller on the A7N8X motherboard. I have
spent countless hours on hold waiting to talk to technicians who

never
seem to have any answers or ability to escalate. They just pass me
around to voice mails and then never call me back. I left repeated
voice mails for their supervisors asking for my issue to be

escalated
to engineering and fixed and have never received a call back. I

called
and begged customer service to help and they tell me they will have
"their guy" call me back but he never called me back either. In the
end, I am stuck with a motherboard that won't work with my hard

drives
due to a bug in their SATA controller and they knnow it but won't

fix
it because I am not a big reseller. Other customers are havinng

this
issue as well. See
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/cont...pic/14811/?o=0.

So be warned, ASUS makes products that perform well but don't

expect
any technical support if you get in a bind.

I think I am going to start a web page detailing the horrid Asus
tehnical support and post it on slashdot. If you have had any

similar
issues and would like to contribute content please email me at
tilimil AT hotmail.com

I doubt that Asus themselves can do much here, they just get the BIOS

code and drivers from Silicon Image, I don't imagine they get access

the code, etc. so you'd likely be better off bugging Silicon Image

directly.

This sort of thing is why I'm not a big fan of using the RAID that's
built into the IDE controllers on most motherboards. They are not
hardware RAID anyway, that's just an illusion created by the BIOS and

the driver - the handling is basically all done in software. If you

want
software RAID you might as well just use the RAID support built into
Windows or Linux..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

Ture, but it is my understanding that the controller BIOS is also part
of the image when you upgrade the mobo BIOS.