Old October 15th 03, 03:07 PM
Yves Leclerc

If the PSU does not have the special 12 volt P4 4-pin power cable and the
motherboard does not have the Asus EZ-Plug (??) adapter, then YES the unit
is "underpowering" the motherboard. P4s need the extra 12 volts to power
the CPU.

Y.

"nerdb0t" wrote in message
om...
so i called customer support for my recent P4S800 w/ P4 3GHz and told
them i thought my purchase was DOA. they immediately asked about my
powersupply, and i said i have an enermax 300W.

they said that PSU is known to kill P4S800's.

i said that i bought a new PSU (antec 330W) and they said that antec's
are too weak to power up a P4S800 w/ 3GHz, especially if i was using
DDR400 memory. they said i need at least 550W if i'm using a "cheap
PSU".

they told me to send back the system and they will replace it, but
that i need to get a new cpu. they only recommended zippy and enlight
at 300W, but i could get a generic one if it was over 500W.

is this some kind of bogus crap, or do you think my PSU could fry my
motherboard by "underpowering" it? (in quotes b/c antec 330W seems
like plenty power to me..)