Old November 29th 03, 07:20 AM
Frank

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:37:42 -0500, "Timothy Drouillard"
wrote:

I have a GA-8KNXP I've been running with F6 for some time with everything
working just fine.

Then Gigabyte comes out with a new BIOS, F7, then shortly after, F8.

Now I've been in the business more years than I care to admit, and have
learned many many times, 'if it works, don't f_ck with it!'

But nooooo, something posessed me to go ahead and try F7 and F8.

Some people never learn.

In my system I have 2 WD SATA Raptors in a RAID 0 array on the SII
controller, and two Seagate 160gig SATA drives on the ICH5R controller.

under both F7 and F8, I no longer have an option to boot to the SII Raid
controller.

Both RAID controllers are set 'enabled' in the BIOS and set to RAID, the
POST sees the proper drives on the proper controllers and sees them as RAID
0 setups just fine.

In the Boot order in the BIOS, the only HD options shown are for the Intel
RAID controller and an add-in card.

no sign of the SII RAID controller at all.

tried all kinds of combinations to no avail.

Went back to F6 and all is well again.

Same experience, a little bit different :

1 WD SATA raptor on Intel
1 DVD on 2nd Standard IDE
1 Maxtor on GigaRaid.

10 Change F6 to F8, reboot and .....

20 an Error Message on bios Intel controler :
Internal Error (9) ISM_HARDWARE_UNSUPPORTED.

30 2 seconds of XP boot image and ..... reboot....

40 GOTO 10

I don't know what means this message...

went back to F6 ( not easy without a floppy drive ..... )and all is
well again.

So If you don't need it, don't do it ( BIOS upgrade rule number1 )

I'm quit sure I will updrade to F10 ( Human default number 1 in Bios
updrade environnement )

:-)