Old March 14th 21, 11:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Frank Slootweg

Default Why is this HDD so small?

Ken Blake wrote:
On 3/13/2021 1:26 PM, Frank Slootweg wrote:
micky wrote:
Why is this so small?

Alternatively, why aren't they all so small?
Less than 4" x 1 1/4" x 1/3".

Is it a real HDD, a spinner, with a rotating platter? It calls it a
harddrive more than once, and never uses SSD, etc. but it's so small.

https://www.amazon.com/External-Hard...9&sr=1-11&th=1

What about that it has no brand name? Would you buy it for a backup
drive?

For file backup, is a real 2.5" external drive better for backup?
external 2.5" HDD, SSD, 3.5" HDD in a dock

No offense, but why even consider stuff from weird merchants which
peddle their stuff via Amazon!?

Don't you have *reputable* webshops in the US?

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them--probably somewhere around 100 a year--and I've never
had a problem, except once when a product I expected to receive never
arrived. Amazon not only refunded what I had paid, but also gave me a
credit ($10, If I remember correctly).

You don't buy things *from* them (at least not in cases like this),
but *through* them. The only thing you get is *financial* 'security',
*if* you spot in time that the advertized item is indeed a lemon.

But the point - which you've snipped - is, (very) weird merchant,
which peddles a mislabeled/misadvertized, no-name device which you're
supposed to trust your data to.

FWIW, we (NL) also have Amazon-like companies (they pre-date Amazon in
Europe) and Amazon is ramping up here. I only use (the merchants which
sell through) such companies if there's no reasonable alternative and
the lemon-risk is not important. (And I think a lot would have to change
before I would consider buying through or from Amazon.)