Old October 20th 12, 01:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default need AGP video card recommendation for older system - pleasehelp

Adam wrote:

Sure, I doubt that the video card manufacturer would
use a cheap Molex connector on the video card.

I may have unknowingly used cheap Molex extension connectors,
which I'll try replacing first before soldering (which will make it
difficult to swap video cards).

A side question ... which ATI Radeon video card is this ...
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/5258/atiradeon9800pro.jpg
It doesn't look like an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro.

It's a 9800 XT, out of a Dell.

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemd...mid=1441161823

The 9800 XT gets an honorable mention here, and uses a different GPU (R360)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R300

While the chip number is changed, it doesn't look all that
much different than a 9800 Pro listed here. The two seem
almost identical, except for clock speed difference and
more RAM on the newer card.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....d1=36&card2=34

*******

Note that, the 9800 Pro is universal keyed, and can fit
in a 1.5V or 3.3V slot. The keys in the slot control card
insertion.

http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/r9...scan-front.jpg

The 9800 XT on the other hand, is a 1.5V only card. It only
has one slot to fit a key.

http://www.memory4less.com/images/pr...2/N3511-lg.jpg

It's funny, that while the 9800 Pro has a 3.3V slot cut in it,
when I plugged mine into a 3.3V only AGP motherboard (P2B-S),
the machine would not post. Nothing was damaged. I think
I got a beep code. So if the card is "universal", it
isn't "that universal" :-(

Your slot is AGP Pro, where the front and back section
of pins, carry extra power. The center section matches
the "normal" set of AGP pins. And there are no keys that
I can see in your slot, in that section. And that means
either a 1.5V or a 3.3V card will fit. So the 9800 XT should
not be a problem.

Before you buy the 9800 XT, do some Googling first to see
whether there are problems or not.

Paul