Old December 19th 03, 05:51 AM
Tim

Go for the 2 x 512 if you can - you have an upgrade path if you need one &
it will work.
- Tim

"harry" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
it's VERY stable now with my 4 256 sticks but i just lose alittle on the
performance as opposed to 2 512 sticks

"DaveW" wrote in message
You should have used (2) 512MB sticks. It's much more stable in that

board,
and boards in general.

--
DaveW

"harry" wrote in message
news
Hi, i've just bought an asus p4p800-d + p4 3.0C HT 800 + winxp and all

works
fine, though i have a question about my memory.

i have 2 of these kits :
Dual Channel Optimized DDR Kits - EL Platinum Edition
512MB (256MBx2) PC3200 DDR400 CAS2 (OCZ400512ELDCPE-K)

http://www.ocztechnology.com/product...0+Dual+Channel
+Platinum

= total = 1g

now if i install just 1 pair [for 512kb], doesn't matter which into

the
1st
2 blue slots, i can see the message on bootup saying " dual channel

400
mhz"
= so this is ok + i can turn the asus memory accel on with no problems

and
nice memory read increase according to aida32, something north of 4500

if
remember correctly, the write stays about the same with or without the
memory bios boost.

Now when i populate all 4 memory slots with the 2 kits [1g] on boot up

see =" dual channel 266 mhz" !!!! what happened to my 400 mhz????? +

when
try to enable the asus memory accel it says it can't boot and i have

disable it ????

Why is this happening when i use all 4 memory sticks? Anybody have

similiar
exp? thanks

ps. it's not a huge big deal, the write test is about the same speed

as
just
the 2 memory sticks themselves but the read test is just shy of 4000

if
remember correctly.

I'm thinking i should have just bought the 2 512kb kit and they would

have
worked at 400 = the memory boost, seems like the p4p800 is real picky

when
you populate all 4