Old February 18th 07, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Andrew MacPherson

Default Impulsive x800xt 256Mb to 8800GTS 320Mb upgrade

root@localhost (First of One) wrote:
Face it, you just wanted a faster card. :-)

:-) I exchanged emails with the guy who wrote Fraps and he suggested
that a dual core processor would help, but that the higher bandwidth of
PCI-E would help even more. Obviously HD speed also comes into it, but
in theory the average HD had more than enough write speed to cope with
Fraps, especially if you're not short of RAM and the game's not
accessing the HD very often.

Anyway, it's a complicated equation overall, and PCI-E has certainly
helped. Whether it's helped enough to justify the cost is a different
matter. I certainly didn't need the speed for gaming as my sims are CPU
limited anyway. :-)

Andrew McP

PS Thanks for the suggestions about FSAA