Old February 18th 07, 12:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Andrew MacPherson

Default Impulsive x800xt 256Mb to 8800GTS 320Mb upgrade

I was looking to buy a 512Mb X1950Pro, mainly because I wanted the extra
bandwidth on the PCI-E bus for capturing Fraps footage while flight
simming. (I used an AGP card on an Asrock dual sata). But the 1950 was
155ukp and I was easily swayed at the last moment towards an 8800GTS for
194ukp, especially as I won't be upgrading (probably!) for another 2
years or so.

Anyway, I won't bore you with benchmarks, the net's full of them.
Overall speed & picture quality at 1600x1200 is great. But Nvidia's FSAA
is still, depressingly, behind ATI's in quality IMO. At x4/x8aniso I see
shimmering where I didn't have it before at resolutions like 1024x768
which I use for video capture. x16fsaa is better, but I'm not convinced
it's better than ATI's x4. All in all, this reminds me why I went ATI
with the 9700Pro and stayed there.

Andrew McP