Old April 7th 04, 11:07 AM
Jon Back

What else did wcpuid say?
What bus speed? What multiplier?
Your motherboard bios may be misreading the chip and underclocking it.

or, it is entirely possible that your "local computer store" sold you an XP
1800.
But unless you write down ALL the information for when you talk to them, you
will be unconvincing.
You need the stepping numbers, frequencies, multipliers, etc.....

"Sean Berry" wrote in message
I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
yesterday.

I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
it says under "Computer":

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

What gives???
Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?

Any help here is greatly appreciated.