Old July 16th 19, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
T. Ment

Default sil3114 sata card

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 16:32:09 -0400, Paul wrote:

Even for a JBOD disk (not part of an array),
some RAID cards insist on adding metadata that
says the hard drive is not part of any array.

Some other brands, the firmware looks for metadata. If
is is missing, the drive is assumed to be JBOD.

Not that this has anything to do with a file copy
malfunctioning part way through.

A RAID card BIOS has its own INT13 code. It can't rely on motherboard
INT13 code, which may not support large drives. But that's just for DOS.
Linux or Windows don't call BIOS, their device drivers do all the work
internally.

That doesn't make any sense.

With DOS, it does. The sil3114 INT13 code does not work right in DOS
without something on the disk put there by its low level format. I don't
need to know what, I just want it to work.