Old July 13th 19, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.msdos.misc
T. Ment

Default PCI IDE card

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 10:27:11 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:

I'm looking at PCI IDE cards on Ebay. I see mostly Promise and Adaptec.
I need one with a BIOS that can boot the drive connected to the card.

I've used cards from both Promise and Adaptec in the past. I think it
really depends what features you are wanting. If you just want a basic
IDE controller, then Promise cards are likely more economical. If you
want something that does hardware RAID such that the OS only sees the
logical RAID drive, then Adaptec is probably the way to go.

I'm looking at Adaptec ASH-1233. I don't think it's RAID. but I don't
need that. $10 and free shipping. Apparently uses CMD / SIL 0680 chip,
which some people praise.

"CMD0680A still rocks in my books. Probably one of the best PATA
chipsets ever released"

http://forums.storagereview.com/inde...ash-1233-bios/

I found updated BIOS 3.4.0.0 he

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=41462

Some cards worked best with the onboard IDE channels disabled and
re-using those addresses. Others could work in tandem with them.

It really depends on what your use case is.

My Asus P3V4X IDE works, but has high interrupt latency under DOS. I
want to disable that, and use the add-in card only.