Old July 13th 19, 05:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.msdos.misc
Grant Taylor

Default PCI IDE card

On 7/13/19 9:26 AM, T. Ment wrote:
I'm looking at PCI IDE cards on Ebay. I see mostly Promise and Adaptec.
I need one with a BIOS that can boot the drive connected to the card.

Any recommendation?

I've used cards from both Promise and Adaptec in the past. I think it
really depends what features you are wanting. If you just want a basic
IDE controller, then Promise cards are likely more economical. If you
want something that does hardware RAID such that the OS only sees the
logical RAID drive, then Adaptec is probably the way to go.

I an fairly certain that 3Ware (?) played in this market space too. I
want to say that they had add in cards that had four IDE channels. Thus
combining with the two onboard IDE channels, you could have 12 IDE
(master+slave) drives in the system. I have no idea what sort of
addressing is used or what drivers are required.

Some cards worked best with the onboard IDE channels disabled and
re-using those addresses. Others could work in tandem with them.

It really depends on what your use case is.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die