Old July 7th 19, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default 1 terabyte flash drives?

wrote:
Are 1 terabyte flash drives any good?
I just discovered they are being sold.
Quite surprised.
xxxxx

There are counterfeit 1TB and 2TB USB keys.

Compare these to the price of a 1TB SSD drive.

The USB key should not be significantly cheaper,
because they both use or need flash chips.

Some of the 2TB USB keys, have 8GB of flash and
are worth... $10, because that's what you might
pay for an 8GB drive. These counterfeit sticks
behave strangely when you do long writes to them
(strange, as in "useless").

*******

You can "make" a USB flash key, using a USB to SATA
or USB to NVMe adapter plus a SATA SSD or an NVMe SSD
respectively.

It is possible to put storage solutions like tha together
from component parts.

I use a gadget like this, for hooking up an SSD to the
outside of my PC. It's a USB3 to SATA adapter.

https://www.newegg.com/startech-usb3...82E16812400542

Using another setup, I checked the power consumption of
my SSD, to make sure that the USB3 port would have
sufficient power for the thing. My Samsung 256GB and
Samsung 512GB drives, fit within the power envelope.
You start a benchmark run, make the drive really
busy, then measure the power. That's the basic idea.
I have a clamp-on ammeter for power purposes
(5V * Iamps).

Paul