Old May 16th 08, 12:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Default 9600 gt 512 mb power requirement

vinny wrote:
I have an Antec case that came with a 350 watts power supply I had a 6800
xt with 512 of ram (with the extra pipelines and shaders turned on) on a
previous agp motherboard which ran fine. I read that the 9600gt should use
the same amount of power, but most of the requirements I saw said it
needed a 400 watts minimum.

Please note that I had to buy a power adapter because my power supply had a
20 pin motherboard power connector while my mobo has a 24 pin socket.
My system is

asus M2A-VM micro atx motherbard
amd 64 x2 4800 cpu (brisbane 65 watts)
1 ide hardrive
1 sata hardrive
1 ide dvd burner
2-1 gig sticks of ram
win xp pro with sp2

will I be able to run a basic 9600 gt card?

thanks to all who reply...

Vinny

So I take it you're using the integrated X1250 right now correct? For
any current PCI-E motherboard you should have a fully ATX 12V compliant
24-pin power supply that's PCI-E compatible. This also will have all
the necessary 6-pin power leads for graphics cards and SATA connectors
so you don't need all those Molex-to-xxx plugs.

In reviews the 9600GT uses slightly less power than an 8800GT and comes
in around 72-80watts under load. This is enough stress that you should
have a nice big 12v rail that can supply roughly 24 amps total. Since
pretty much everything today draws off the 12v, it has become far more
important to a modern PSU. You'll thank yourself in the long run since
clean power is very important to system stability (just ask your
capacitors sometime ). Also a good size 500-600w efficient PSU will
last you a long time. Even an SLI 8800GTX system only needs a 620W PSU.

You don't have to spend too much, but don't buy the generic 30-50 USD
nonames, they're always over-rated (current and amperage wise) and fail
easily. Here's some good examples:

I'm using an XClio 500W with an 8800GT in my Opteron system, and while
I'm not sure it's the best PSU or even the most efficient, it does keep
steady voltage and keeps the GT from throttling down in-game.