Old January 20th 04, 02:07 PM
newsgroups.bellsouth.net

The 5700ultra ( designed to go against the 9600 pro ) is not a 5800ultra (
designed to go against the 9800 pro ). Arguably, the 5700ultra isn't really
a great match to the 9600 pro, and certainly not the 9800 pro that he
compared it too. However, the 5800/5900ultra are pretty good cards - and
the 5950ultra is one of the best. I myself have a 9800 pro, but really only
because back in the day the ATI solution was all I could afford ( I really
liked the GF3 series though, and then the GF4 - not MX ), and I just stuck
with it. ATI mastered DX9 first, so... By the time the 5800ultra came out
I had a softmodded 9500np that I got for nothing comparitively. Then two
more a 9800np, and finally a 9800pro ( no big difference really, I want a
9800xt or better . I got my 9800's for around $300, so I am not going out
and spending more on a nVidia card that I am not familiar with to get
similar performance... Hmmm... Just read a review of the 5900xt, really
nice bang for the buck! Unfortunately, not widely available yet.

"v56k" wrote in message
Brad wrote:

I have bought seven nvidia based cards. I recently purchased a 5700
Ultra.
What a mistake that was. My old Geforce 3 ti 200 beats it in every game
test that I have. The Geforce 4200 that I have beats the 5700 Ultra by
about 25 to 40 percent in frames per second. I swallowed my pride and
bought an ATI 9800 Pro. The best card that I have had. It will take

me
long time to go back to nividia based cards. Does any one else have

this
problem? Thanks.
BTW. I have installed this 5700 Ultra in three different machines and
the card acts the same in all three.

I replaced my GeF3 with a FX5800Ultra and it kicks the GF3's ass - faster
FPS, UT2003 with maxed out settings and all the nVidia quality settings on
max (except AA which is on 4x). Also kicks ass in Eve Online (a DX9 game).

Whilst I would not argue its better than a 9800 I would argue that you are
an imbecile if you think its slower than a GF3 Ti200....