Old January 31st 17, 06:19 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
mike

Default wireless mouse not working

On 2017-01-30 00:58, mike wrote:
On 1/29/2017 11:53 AM, Norm X wrote:
This message is Xposted to relevant news groups

Hi,

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after reboot. It worked before.

Just to be clear, this mouse worked on this computer with win10Pro
and it just stopped working???

Most likely cause of failure is the last thing that changed.
With win10, updates may have trashed the driver.
There are methods to back out updates, but someone like Paul
will have to tell you how to do it.

[...]

Also beware of firmware updates. These may come with Windows updates,
but their sources is the hardware maker. It seems to be a law of updates
that fixing a problem in firmware causes at least one new problem.

Have a good day,

USB has a bunch of hoops to jump thru to work.
Mice have a bunch of hoops to jump thru.
Depending on bios settings and OS settings, a USB mouse
has to be detected by the bios to work there.
It has to be detected by the OS to work there. There are
a bunch of settings that can foil that process. IF an OS update
changes the default setting for power to the USB ports under some
conditions, the device may fail.

When you plug in the USB mouse receiver,
you can see the success in device manager. If that doesn't happen,
your USB receiver or the port is busted or misconfigured or just
dirty/corroded.

First thing I'd do is boot the live Puppy Linux CD and see if
the mouse works there. If you're a MS devotee, Hiren's boot CD
can perform the same test. Either can be made to boot from USB
if you don't have a CD.

There's a diagnostic program called USBDeview that will show you every
USB device ever connected to your machine and whether it's currently
active.

Of course, some very old USB mice don't have available drivers and
won't work until you find/install them separately. That's not your
case because you said it "worked before".

Stuff does break. Just last night, the sound quit on my TV box.
Long story short, it was the sound source selector switch to the
amplified speakers.
How often does a mechanical switch just quit transmitting sound
on both channels without touching it?