Old December 11th 03, 09:10 AM
J. Sokalski

I had problems with Kingston's HyperX 3200 memory and the SPD settings.
I kept getting corrupted files and failures to copy files when attempting to
install Win2K or XP. After a week of trying all combinations and
permutations of drive connections and Raid settings, and changing cards from
slot to slot, for a week with no success I was about to give up. I got all
the latest drivers and BIOS upgrades and they did not help either.

For some reason I thought to check Kingston's web site and the specs. for
the 2 512mb HyperX modules. I found that the recommended voltage was 1.6+
and settings of 2,2,2,6,1, and a refresh of 7.8ns. My system was using 1.5
volts for the memory. When I set the voltage to 1.65 volts and the Kingston
HyperX timings the system was more stable. When I increased the memory's
voltage to 1.75 everything became stable and fast.

When I tried overclocking, or the BIOS turbo mode, the system locked up and
would not restart. I had to use a jumper to clear the BIOS, and then reset
all the BIOS settings. The P4C800 deluxe is running fine now.

"bmcky" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:42:46 +1100, "sheer" wrote:

(massive snippage for brevity)

Hi -

About the Corsair memory:

I bought a P4C800 deluxe with 512 mgs of this same memory (dual
channel) PC 3200 LLPT from Newegg last summer. There's a problem in
running these using the SPD setting. This may have been fixed since
then. They were originally advertised as running at 2-2-2-6 but now
they're rated at something like 2-3-3-6 or something like that. I
wasn't happy because I specifically chose the Corsair chips to be able
to run them at these tight settings.

I think it comes down to whether you want to OC the system. If you do
not plan to O/C, then I'd assume you want the tight memory settings
and you'd need to investigate what the 1gig sticks are set to run at.
If you do plan to O/C, then you wouldn't be able to use the tight
settings anyway and it wouldn't matter. But then, you'd probably want
something like at least PC3500 or better, memory.

I was checking out Mushkin's site for their memory chips and settings
and they memtioned that the AMI bios didn't recognize the memory
settings properly and that is the reason more than anything else for
the problems with the chips. It really isn't anything that Corsair
did/didn't do. I also have the P4 cooled with a Zalman all copper
heat sink flower and 2 80 mm fans blowing directly on the MB and CPU,
along with 9 other fans inside the full tower case. The video card is
and ATI A-I-W 9700 Pro with a WD 120gig SE hd, running XP Pro. I like
the setup but it was tricky to set up, due in part that no one would
mention the bios problem(s). The frequent bios updates for this board
on Asus' site should have been a tip off, though.

Good luck if you go ahead with the build, but be sure to look into the
memory settings first, so you know what to expect.

bmcky

Boston, MA