Old November 3rd 03, 12:04 AM
Robert Hancock

The retail boxed CPUs include a heatsink/fan with them. Unless you are
planning to overclock the CPU, you might as well use it, as it's likely
quieter than most 3rd-party coolers..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from

"Mod" wrote in message
om...
Hi.
I'm thinking of building a new machine based on the following specs
and would like some advice re the compatibility of the components,
etc.
The parts I'm thinking of buying are as follows:

Motherboard Asus P4C800 Deluxe "Canterwood" (Socket 478) Motherboard
CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology - Retail
RAM Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200LLPT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2
DVD-ROM Samsung SD-616QBB 16x48x DVD-ROM (Black),
CD-RW Samsung SW-252B 52x/52x/24x CD-ReWriter (Black) - OEM
Graphics Card Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB DDR TV-Out/DVI -
Retail
Thermal comp Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (3.5g)
Floppy Teac 3.5" Black Floppy Disk Drive - OEM
HeatSink ThermalRight SLK-947U (Socket 478 & Socket A) Cooler

92mm Fan Vantec 92mm Tornado Fan for heatsink
Case Lian Li PC 71 Aluminium Full-Tower (No PSU
PSU Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU

I will use my existing Hard Drives and (possibly) my Promise FastTrack
100 TX2 PCI Raid card in a RAID 0+1 config..

Now, I would appreciate it if anyone with a similar setup could advise
me as to whether or not all this lot will work happily together, or
whether there could be issues I'm likely to face.
For example, will the ThermalRight SLK-947U heatsink fit this board
and, if not, what's a good alternative?
I like the look of that particular heatsink and have heard they work
well with Vantec 92mm Tornado Fans.
Do you have any experience with this board / HSF setup?

What about the RAM? Are there any major issues with this board and the
low latency corsair RAM modules I've listed above?
Again, I've run into problems with Asus boards and their pickiness re
RAM in the past and thought that more expensive stuff like this would
be a wise choice for stability as well as speed.

Also, considering I'll be RAIDing 4 HDDs as well as hosting CDRW and
DVD-ROM drives, will the 480W PSU give me enough juice? I'm looking at
the Antec range because they too have a good reputation for quality
but I don't know whether to go 550W instead of 480.
Anyway, that's about all I can think of for now but I'd really
appreciate any advice on the issues I've raised above.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
Mod.