Old June 8th 04, 07:32 PM
ur_droll

"Michael Brown" wrote in message
: ur_droll wrote:
: [...]
: Sorry.... I should have clarified... I "NEED" to spend as little as
: possible
: on my initial upgrade of Case, m/b, cpu (low budget), 512mb ddr & hdd.
:
: and the considered specs are as follows;
:
: Gigabyte GA-7N400-L nForce Chipset 400 FSB Dual channel
: Triplex 128Mb DDR GeForceFX 5200 8X w/TV-Out & DVI
: Samsung 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM
: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80Gb Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8MB Cache
:
: Topped off with the el cheapo AMD Athlon XP1600+ Socket 462....
: Which will get swapped out in about 6 to 12 months (hopefully to a
: nice big fat XP4000+ socket 462.
:
: Socket A is effectively dead ... there's no more roadmapped CPUs above the
: XP3200, so I wouldn't be counting on being able to upgrade the CPU (except
: to a mobile then overclocking it ). Socket 754 is looking like a bad
: investment at the moment (high prices now then being relegated to "budget"
: ie: low performance in 2005). Socket 939 is looking even worse givin the
: current pricing on the things. Out of the lot, socket 478 (P4) is looking
: about the best future-wise, but then you're banking on Intel getting
: Prescott sorted out, plus you may need a new motherboard for the 266MHz
FSB
: CPUs that are going to be coming out later.
:
: Given that you're got very limited upgradablilty no matter where you go,
I'd
: say go for what you've got above with the intention of getting a mobile
: later on. The only thing to watch out for is if AMD start locking the
: mobiles, which will cramp your style a bit on the nVidia chipsets (no
: PowerNow support so you're stuck with only the default multiplier).

Thanks Michael