Old June 8th 04, 02:01 PM
ur_droll

"ur_droll" wrote in message
: Hi there all you tech heads.
:
: I am after advice from "those in the know" about a box upgrade that I'm
: considering.
:
: Having being through this once before (and fluffing it with a 733 P3
: just after P4 release) and missing any opportunity to make a meaningful
: (cpu only) upgrade. I would like to spend as little as possible on my
: initial upgrade of Case, m/b, cpu (low budget), 512mb ddr & hdd.
:
: I have a reasonable appreciation of the value of higher fsb, P4 hyper
: threading and 64 bit 754 XP's, but don't have much of an idea as to
: the comparative value of the 462 XP's 400fsb, particularly as relates
: to P4 hyper threading and the likelihood of continuing production of
: faster (compatible architecture) cpu's that might be supported by my
: new m/b. i.e.... I understand the risk of architecture redundancy if
: I get it wrong and am trying to weigh the risk against the savings in
: cost for the three different options.
:
: Search and cost comparisons of local supply options for m/bs that
: support the potential advances of the three options (together with a
: desire to get 'off board graphics') are limiting me to low speed cpu's
: around 2000 - 2400 with lower fsb. This will be my most meaningful
: upgrade (other than graphics, sound and ram), and I would like to be
: in the hunt for a 3300+ + upgrade (if available).
:
: I guess my question is simply..... are 462 XP's with dual channel cpu's
: competitive enough (in your collective opinions) with P4 hyperthreading,
: ....to minimise the risk of premature redundancy.

Sorry.... I should have clarified... I "NEED" to spend as little as
possible
on my initial upgrade of Case, m/b, cpu (low budget), 512mb ddr & hdd.

and the considered specs are as follows;

Gigabyte GA-7N400-L nForce Chipset 400 FSB Dual channel
Triplex 128Mb DDR GeForceFX 5200 8X w/TV-Out & DVI
Samsung 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80Gb Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8MB Cache

Topped off with the el cheapo AMD Athlon XP1600+ Socket 462....
Which will get swapped out in about 6 to 12 months (hopefully to a
nice big fat XP4000+ socket 462.

I'll also add a Sound Blaster Audigy-2 Sound Card and possibly
upgrade the graphics card.

:
: Please advise.
: