Old June 28th 04, 09:10 PM
Ben Pope

rms wrote:
I wouldn't bother. They're meant to "prevent" the core from being
crushed due to too much pressure from the heatsink.

You are neglecting the potential additional heat transfer of cpu heat
from the substrate to the heatsink with a copper shim.

Thermal resistance of the substrate is such that the heat transfer is
negligible anyway.

If you were
careful in coating both sides of the shim with compound, I wouldn't be at
all surprised to see say 1-2C temperature difference from a shim-less

Difference in the temperature of what?

install. Small of course, but so what? Small differences make tinkering
with such simple mods fun.

What about the reduction of air flow to the side of the core, and to the
substrate? Would that not have a negative effect on temps?

Ben