Old January 8th 04, 09:04 AM
Fred H

Default Record size and other stuff

Hi

I'm currently working on deepening my understanding
on hard disk drives and file systems, and I have come
accross somethine that I find hard to get any relevant
hits on Google on: Record size.

Now, I know it has something to do with the size of
the chunck of data the OS/file system is asking for
from the disk when reading a file, and the other way
around for writing. My question is best presented as
a list I suppose:

- What is the definition of RS?
- How normal is it for a FS to vary it?
- On what conditions does the FS vary RS, if it does?
- Does "default RS" exist, and can I change it?
- Does the term "RS" mean fairly the same between FSs?

FS = File System and RS = Record size, but I suppose that any of
you that may actually be able to help me out, understood that
perfectly well ;-)

I know that the file system benchmarking tool IOZone checks
the file systems performance over two axis, namely file size and
record size, creating a 3D surface graph hoovering above the
file size / record size "floor", with performance along the z-axis,
so I guess that sort of answers some of my questions. But the
reason I want to know more about record size, is to better understand
the results generated by IOZone.

Slightly on another note, I'd like to ask you guys if you know about
any good web sites that deals with file systems, and their inner
structures and workings.

(The reason I'm trying to expand my horizon on the subject is that I'm
currently bench marking a computer with a circuit "inserted" on the
IDE-cable between the host and device. This circuit has some fifos,
and I'm trying to figure out how important the sizes of these fifos are.
More specificially I'm hoping to find the breaking point in the
performance/fifo size graph, if it exists in the fifo size range I'm
operating in...)

-Fred H, Norway.